This German Krapfen Recipe may be a from the Rhineland… Rheinische Krapfen is traditionally made by cutting the dough faraway from the most blob with a spoon, there are hooks of dough left… it’s thought that this is often where the name Krapfen came from… krapfen is small hooks…
Fried Food… like Krapfen and Berliner… also as treats like Donuts or Beignets.. are traditional celebratory foods, especially in times before a quick. Faschingdienstag or Karneval Dienstag is that the swan song before Ash Wednesday and therefore the beginning of Lent. Krapfen has eaten then also like New Year.
Krapfen with Raspberry Jam:
(makes 10 -12 Krapfen)
Ingredients of Krapfen:
|flour||4 1/2 cups|
|fresh yeast||1 1/2 oz.|
|butter, melted||6 tablespoons|
|lemon peel, grated||1/2|
|egg yolks, beaten||5|
|Shortening or vegetable oil||(for deep frying)|
|Powdered sugar||(for decorating)|
|Raspberry jam or preserves|
Instructions of Krapfen:
1. Let the yeast soften by allowing it to soak in 1/4 cup of warmed milk. Set aside. Heat remaining 3/4 cup milk so it’s lukewarm, then combine it with 2 1/2 cups flour, creating a smooth mixture.
2. Next, combine the yeast and flour mixtures. Cover with a towel and permit mixture to rest during a warm place for about half-hour. Then mix during a teaspoon of salt, knead the dough, and canopy it for an additional half-hour.
3. Once it’s risen (it should have doubled in size), combine with melted butter, lemon rind, sugar, egg yolks, and therefore the remainder of the flour (2 cups).
4. Lightly flour a surface. Roll out your dough so it’s about 3/4 inch thick. Then cut out “doughnuts” with a 3-inch round kitchen utensil or a glass/cup of that size.
5. Spread a heaping teaspoon of jam on half the rounds. Cover them with the opposite half the dough rounds, crimping the sides. Then cover the doughnuts another time with a towel for about quarter-hour.
6. Heat oil to about 350 F during a large saucepan or deep fryer. Fry a couple of krapfen at a time, letting all sides brown for 2-5 minutes before flipping onto the opposite side.
7. Remove from deep fryer and place on a thick towel to empty. Roll doughnuts in granulated sugar (or sprinkle some on top) while they’re still hot.
8. Now its time to eat!
|Calories 320 Calories From Fat 100|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g 17%|
|Saturated Fat 5g 25%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 115mg 38%|
|Sodium 280mg 12%|
|Potassium 130mg 4%|
|Total Carbohydrates 48g 16%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g 8%|
|Protein 8g 16%|
|Vitamin A 6%|
|Vitamin C 0%|
You can see more on our Blogspot https://crawlbeast2.blogspot.com/