Are Tomatoes good for you? Tomato is a plant. The fruit may be a familiar food, but the fruit, leaf, and vine also are sometimes want to make medicine. Some people use tomato for a top vital sign, osteoarthritis, cancer, and lots of other uses, but there’s no good scientific evidence to support these uses.
How does it work?
Tomatoes contain a chemical called lycopene, which is assumed to play a task in preventing cancer. It’s easier for the body to use lycopene that comes from tomato products, like ingredients or juice, than from fresh tomatoes. Tomato may additionally help reduce the danger of heart condition and sun damage.
US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Purdue University researchers are developing a tomato that contains quite twice the maximum amount lycopene and features a longer time period than currently available tomatoes. The tomato, which remains in development, is modified with a yeast gene that slows the ripening process, allowing longer for lycopene to accumulate. Researchers think it’ll be several years before this tomato is on store shelves.
Uses & Effectiveness of Tomatoes:
Possibly Harmless for:
- Bladder cancer. Eating more tomato products does not seem to decrease the risk of bladder cancer.
- Breast cancer. Eating more tomato products does not seem to decrease the risk of breast cancer.
- Diabetes. Eating more tomato products does not seem to decrease the risk of diabetes. It also doesn’t seem to reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
Not Enough Evidence for:
- Heart disease. Limited lookup has observed that ingesting extra tomato-based meals is related with a diminished chance of coronary heart assault and stroke.
- Cataracts. Eating greater than three servings of tomatoes every week can also assist to stop cataracts.
- Cervical cancer. Limited lookup has located that ingesting extra tomatoes is linked with a decrease chance of growing cervical cancer.
- Colon cancer, rectal cancer. Some research endorse that tomatoes or tomato-based merchandise may also assist to minimize the threat of getting this kind of cancer. But different research have located no benefit.
- Asthma brought on with the aid of exercise. Early lookup suggests that taking a unique tomato extract (Lyc-O-Mato) looks to limit signs in humans who get bronchial asthma assaults from exercise.
- Stomach cancer. So far, lookup research does now not agree on whether or not or no longer tomatoes or tomato-based merchandise can assist stop belly cancer.
- High stages of LDL cholesterol or different fat (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia). Tomatoes containing the chemical lycopene seem to limit lipid tiers in the blood.
- High blood pressure. Early lookup suggests that a particular tomato extract (Lyc-O-Mato) would possibly decrease blood strain through a small quantity in humans with excessive blood pressure.
- Lung cancer. Some lookup suggests that tomatoes or tomato-based merchandise can assist forestall lung cancer. But this research has been criticized due to the fact they did not take people’s smoking conduct into account. Higher quality, large-scale research do now not exhibit any hyperlink between ingesting tomato merchandise and the danger for lung cancer.
- Muscle strength. Early lookup suggests that ingesting tomatoes extra regularly has been linked to a slower decline in hand-grip electricity in older adults.
- Ovarian cancer. Some lookup suggests that consuming greater tomato or consuming extra tomato juice would not appear to stop ovarian cancer. But some lookup suggests that eating tomato sauce two or extra instances per week does appear to decrease the threat of creating ovarian cancer.
- Pancreatic cancer. One massive learn about suggests that ingesting tomato or tomato-based merchandise does no longer appear to forestall pancreatic cancer. But different research advocate that uncooked tomato intake, and excessive tomato consumption in general, is linked with a decreased threat of creating pancreatic cancer.
- Prostate cancer. Some research suggests that the chance of getting prostate most cancers is diminished modestly in guys who devour tomato products, together with tomatoes, tomato sauce, pizza, or tomato juice, one time or greater per week. But different lookup has observed no benefit.
- Common cold.
- Digestive disorders.
- Other conditions.
Are Tomatoes Good for you? Side Effects & Safety:
When taken by means of mouth: Red tomatoes, inexperienced tomatoes, and tomato leaves are LIKELY SAFE when used in the ordinary quantities determined in food. A unique tomato extract (Lyc-O-Mato) is POSSIBLY SAFE when used for up to eight weeks. Large quantities of tomato leaf or inexperienced tomatoes are POSSIBLY UNSAFE. In giant amounts, tomato leaves or inexperienced tomatoes can motive poisoning. Symptoms of poisoning can also encompass extreme mouth and throat irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, moderate spasms, and dying in extreme cases.
There is not sufficient dependable statistics to understand if tomato vine is secure or what the facet consequences may be.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Tomato fruit is LIKELY SAFE for pregnant and breast-feeding females to devour in meals amounts. But there isn’t always adequate dependable statistics to comprehend if the large quantities used as a remedy are safe. Stay on the protected aspect and stick to meals amounts.
Are Tomatoes Good for you? If you eat more:
The terrific dose of tomato for use as therapy relies upon on numerous elements such as the user’s age, health, and countless different conditions. At this time there is no longer ample scientific facts to decide an terrific vary of doses for tomato. Keep in thinking that herbal merchandise are now not constantly always protected and dosages can be important. Be certain to observe applicable instructions on product labels and seek advice from your pharmacist or doctor or different healthcare expert earlier than using.